CatGenie – Automatic Self-Flushing Litter Box
The holy grail of automatic cat litter boxes must surely be the fully automatic, self-cleaning, self-flushing box. In other words, a completely hands off experience for the cat owner. It’s an ambitious idea but one which PetNovations have tried to achieve with the CatGenie.
The CatGenie is a fully automatic, self-flushing, self-cleaning cat litter box. In effect it acts as a toilet for your cat. Not only does it deal with your cat’s waste but it does it using permanent, washable litter that you need never change.
There are a variety of features to help customize the CatGenie to your exact requirements and the whole package comes with a full 90 day money back guarantee and a 2 year warranty. So how does it all stack up?
How Does It Work?
The CatGenie utilizes special sensors to tell it when your cat has entered and exited the box. If you have the unit in “Cat Start” mode the automatic timer will start once your cat exits the box and 10 minutes later the cleaning cycle will begin.
The cleaning cycle starts with a paddle called the GenieHand which sifts the litter and removes any solid waste into a special chamber in the hopper. Fresh water then fills the box, the waste is broken down by the water with the aid of an impeller before being removed through the external drain.
After the solid waste has been removed the unit goes through a spinning rinse cycle where the special SaniSolution cleans and disinfects the litter and the unit interior. The final step is to dry everything off with a hot air blower.
The cleaning cycle takes 34 minutes overall: half for cleaning, half for drying. The end result is a box that’s clean, sanitary and ready to be used again.
Features: What Can It Do?
- Fully automatic and self-cleaning
- Washable, reusable litter
- 3 operating modes:
- Cat Start: In this mode the unit starts the cleaning cycle 10 minutes after your cat leaves the box. It will only activate once it detects that the cat is no longer inside. If another cat enters it will reset and wait another 10 minute. The unit will clean after every use for 14 hours and for the other 10 hours of the day it will shut off into Sleep Mode. This eradicates the noise of the cleaning cycle at night. A manual clean can be initiated at any time.
- Automatic Start: In this mode the unit will self-clean a set number of times per day between 1 and 4. The CatGenie will start the cleaning cycle every 6, 8, 12 or 24 hours. As there is no programmable timer you will need to set this mode at one of the times you want the cleaning cycle to kick in.
- Push Start: This is the manual option. Whenever you want the box to clean, even if it’s between cycles, you can push the start button and the unit will self-clean.
GeniePaws: This is perfect for cats who tend to scatter litter as they exit the litter box. The raised surface helps cleans litter from paws meaning all debris is contained on the mat.
GenieDome: Does your cat like some privacy as he goes about his business? The GenieDome fits over the top of the tray turning it into an enclosed box with a door opening.
Genie Sidewalls:These 4 inch high sidewalls fit seamlessly onto the CatGenie providing additional privacy and containment for those cats that like to kick their litter.
GenieDoor: The perfect addition for the GenieDome, a door flap to give that bit of added privacy and feeling of security.
- Fully automatic with little user interaction
- Ideal for multi-cat households
- Set up is reasonably simple
- Excellent build quality
- Ecologically sound
- Doesn’t cope well with soft stools
- Can occasionally clog
- Odor can be a problem before the cleaning cycle kicks in
- Litter debris can be a problem
- Cleaning cycle can be loud
- Before purchasing make sure you have a suitable location next to a water source and waste drain
- It’s recommended that you use the Machine Maintenance Cartridge 4 times per year to prevent build-up on the sensors
- If your cat likes to dig in the litter tray you should consider purchasing the sidewalls and/or dome
- Always have a good supply of SaniSolution cartridges. Without these the unit won’t operate.
- All consumables, including cartridge casings, are biodegradable so the unit is very environmentally friendly. The litter itself will degrade over 10 years.
The CatGenie is a great piece of equipment. The fact that it’s fully self-cleaning is an excellent development and will appeal to a lot of people. There are a couple of negatives however. The unit is pretty noisy and this might put nervous cats off using it. There’s also a tendency for litter tracking to occur. I think with some tweaking this could be a real contender for the best automatic cat litter box.
- Width (front): 19″
- Width (bottom back): 16″
- Width (top back): 17″
- Height: 21″
- Depth: 24″ allowing for hoses
- Water Supply Hose: 8′ long
- Drain Hose: 10′ long
- Colors. Base: Pearl Gray, Top: Porcelain White.
- Assembled CatGenie weighs: 25 lbs.
What’s In The Box (Tabby Package. Other packages available)
- 1 CatGenie 120 Self-Washing Cat Box
- 1 SaniSolution Cartridge- Lasts up to 4 months for 1 cat
- 1 Box of Washable Granules
- Easy Manuals and T-Adapters for Setup
- 90-Day Money-Back Guarantee & 2-Year Warranty. FREE Shipping (Except AK, HI, Canada)
- Reward points towards your next supply purchase (5% back)
Average User Rating: 82%